[openstack-dev] [Nova] Seperate out 'soft-deleted' instances from 'deleted' ones?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 1 21:12:09 UTC 2013

For everyone's awareness, there is a bug related to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1196255

Thanks,

MATT RIEDEMANN
Advisory Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development

Phone: 1-507-253-7622 | Mobile: 1-507-990-1889
E-mail: mriedem at us.ibm.com

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901-1407
United States

From:   Yufang Zhang <yufang521247 at gmail.com>
To:     openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
Date:   06/30/2013 10:01 AM
Subject:        [openstack-dev] Seperate out 'soft-deleted' instances from
'deleted' ones?

In nova-api, both vm_states.DELETED and vm_states.SOFT_DELETED states are
mapped to the 'DELETED' status. Thus although nova-api supports filtering
instances by instance status, we cannot get instances which are in
'soft-deleted' status, like:

nova list --status SOFT_DELETED

So does it make sense to seperate out 'soft-deleted' instances from
'deleted' ones in the api level?

To achive this, we can modify the state-status mappings in nova-api to map
vm_states.SOFT_DELETED to a dedicated status(like SOFT_DELETED) and vice
versa. Of course, some modification should be token in the instance filter
logic.

Could anyone give some opinions before I am working on it?

OpenStack-dev mailing list
OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org