[openstack-dev] RFC: Basic definition of OpenStack Programs and first batch

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 1 16:46:33 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> """
>> 'OpenStack Programs' are efforts which are essential to the completion
>> of our mission, but which do not produce deliverables included in the
>> common release of OpenStack 'integrated' projects every 6 months, like
>> Projects do.
>
> Hmm, this wasn't what I understood our direction to be.
>
> And maybe this highlights a subtle difference in thinking - as I see it,
> Oslo absolutely is producing release deliverables. For example, in what
> way was oslo.config 1.1.0 *not* a part of the grizzly release?
>
> The idea that documentation isn't a part of our releases seems a bit off
> too.

I suspect what I call "common release of OpenStack 'integrated' projects
every 6 months" is what you call "server projects" later in the thread.

We publish a number of things, and a subset of them (which I call "the
integrated release") are released together every 6 months. Oslo
libraries are also released, but on a different cadence. Docs are
released, usually with a slight delay. I call those "deliverables", to
avoid confusion with the first set...

I think we are on the same line, just not using the term "release" for
the same thing ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)