[openstack-dev] RFC: Basic definition of OpenStack Programs and first batch

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Jul 1 16:33:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 09:12 -0700, Monty Taylor wrote:

> So I think that tying a definition directly to whether or not there is a
> release artifact or when that gets produced is missing the point and
> wrong. The point is that there are _efforts_ that we want to address,
> and those efforts may not have a clear cut simple "main" source code
> repository.

I assume by "a definition", you mean "a definition of what programs are"
rather than "the mission statement of a particular program".

If so, then yeah - "efforts that don't have release deliverables" isn't
the distinguishing characteristic of programs IMHO.

However, I do think it's a good thing for programs' mission statements
to discuss their release deliverables. Otherwise the mission statement
risks being completely vague. If a program wanted to significantly
change its intentions wrt release deliverables, it should bring an
updated mission statement to the TC.

If we don't want server projects to be programs, then the distinguishing
characteristic of programs is that they're not server projects :)

If we do want server projects to be programs, then "program" is an
all-encompassing term for all of our distinct efforts.

Cheers,
Mark.