[openstack-dev] [cinder] Propose to add copying the reference images when creating a volume

Sheng Bo Hou sbhou at cn.ibm.com
Mon Jul 1 05:25:23 UTC 2013

Hi Cinder folks,

I am currently fixing the bugs related to booting the instance from the
volume. I found there are bugs both in Nova and
Cinder.

Cinder: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1159824
Nova: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1191069

For the volumes created from the image, I propose to copy the reference
image during the creation of
the main image. For example, an image may refer to a kernel image and a
ramdisk image. When we create a volume
from this image, we only copied this one to the volume. The kernel and
ramdisk images are still in glance, and
the volume still refers to the kernel and ramdisk images.

I think if an image has other reference images, the reference images also
need to be copied to the volumes(kernel volume and ramdisk volume),
and then set the volume referring to the kernel volume and the ramdisk
volume. This feature will make booting from
a volume completely independent of the existence of the glance image.

Do you think we can firstly add this feature to cinder? Do folks have any
comments on it?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Staff Software Engineer, Open Standards and Open Source Team, Emerging
Technology Institute, IBM China Software Development Lab

Tel: 86-10-82450778 Fax: 86-10-82453660
Notes ID: Sheng Bo Hou/China/IBM at IBMCN    E-mail: sbhou at cn.ibm.com
Address:3F Ring, Building 28 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8 Dongbeiwang
West Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193