[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Thu Jan 31 13:03:49 UTC 2013

On 01/30/2013 02:49 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info
> <mailto:julien at danjou.info>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jan 29 2013, Angus Salkeld wrote:
>
>     > Nice walk through, I need to try digest how that is all going to
>     fit together.
>     >
>     > It initially seems to me that there is a new entity
>     "Notification/TracePoint"?
>     > They don't really seem like meters, and it might make sense to
>     just model
>     > correctly rather than trying to squeeze them into meters.
>
>     +1
>
>     From what I understand from your video, StackTach logs raw notifications
>     and then feed data into a few tables, doing some computing.
>
>     So what it does is down to:
>     1. Stock raw notifications
>     2. Compute values from these notifications and cache them (= store them
>        into a few tables)
>        Some of these values might be meters.
>
>     I don't think Ceilometer collector is going to store raw notifications.
>     There's no point into the whole Ceilometer project to store this data.
>

> I disagree.
>
> StackTach is answering questions we aren't, yet, like "how long did an
> operation take?", "what actually happened during processing of the
> request?", etc. I think we would benefit from adding at least some of
> that to ceilometer, particularly for SLA auditing. I agree with Angus'
> suggestion of adding new models, though, rather than trying to squeeze
> it into the existing data model as Sandy seems to be suggesting in the
> video. We would also likely want a new API endpoint for querying the new
> types of data.

I'm kind of torn actually. The video was just going with the proposal
that was currently on the table (Dimensions/Richer Metadata table) but I
do have performance concerns with this approach.

I originally was going with the New Datatypes approach as highlighted in
the wiki page. But I can see the ramifications of that with db
migrations under SQL. Each plugin would also have to deal with db
setup/teardown/migration, which is a pain. That said, the schema would
be much better for querying.

Tough problem. My gut says if the Metadata approach can perform (which
only testing can tell), it's an easier-to-maintain approach.

> My first suggestion was going to be to add a notification handler plugin
> that listened for the interesting notification messages and then stored
> them in the database, but if we are going to bring this into the core we
> should just add that step to the existing processing loop in the
> collector and then extend the storage engine API with a new method to
> store the notification.

Today I'll be digging in the code to learn what this means :)

> We may even be able to reduce some of the duplication of metadata if we
> just include a reference to the notification in the meter table instead
> of the entire metadata blob (I need to think more about whether that
> would actually work).

Yes! This!

-S