[openstack-dev] [quantum] Blueprint Announcement: OVSPlugin Support for Hardware Devices

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Jan 30 21:17:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Satish Mohan <satish at aristanetworks.com>wrote:

> Hi Gary
>
> The difficulty to do it at a layer above the plugins is that the network
> segmentation decisions (VLAN id allocator or Tunnel ID allocation are done
> by individual plugins today).  We view the driver as an extension of the
> plugin and extends the capabilities of the plugin and allows it to manage
> more complex deployments like TOR switches in the example.
>
> I feel we should certainly discuss this in the light of Bob's modular L2
> (ml2) plugin architecture and see how best to layer it.

Satish, I agree that there must be some coupling between plugins and driver
interfaces (e.g., it only makes sense to use a VLAN driver interface with a
plugin that uses VLANs for segmentation).  But perhaps what Gary is saying
is that it would make sense for the VLAN driver API and driver
implementations to exist elsewhere in the code tree, so it would be cleaner
if other plugins decided to adopt and use that same VLAN driver API (again,
just as an example).

Dan

> Thanks,
> Satish