[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jan 30 19:02:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> StackTach is answering questions we aren't, yet, like "how long did an
> operation take?", "what actually happened during processing of the
> request?", etc. I think we would benefit from adding at least some of that
> to ceilometer, particularly for SLA auditing. I agree with Angus'
> suggestion of adding new models, though, rather than trying to squeeze it
> into the existing data model as Sandy seems to be suggesting in the video.
> We would also likely want a new API endpoint for querying the new types of
> data.

Err. You're describing a different project doing something totally
different than what Ceilometer currently does, where the only common
point with Ceilometer is that it consumes notifications.
So I don't think we disagree here. This has nothing to do with the
current state of what Ceilometer is.

Blending a new project doing that under the Ceilometer name is likely
extending again the scope of our project somehow (not that I'm against
it).

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker & freelance