[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] [Metering] BP for new Ceilometer Agent(less) framework ...

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 30 15:56:56 UTC 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:04 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

> Now, if your blueprint is about implementing the necessary components
> into Nova to emit notifications with interesting information that
> Ceilometer wants (e.g. instance CPU or I/O usage) and use them from
> Ceilometer to drop the ceilometer-agent-compute, I don't think anybody
> -- from the Ceilometer side -- will be against this since, IIRC,
> Ceilometer crew were all for moving all the stuff into Nova back then.
>
> What you may want to do to start is likely to create a blueprint in Nova
> and get it validated. Changing stuff in Ceilometer then isn't likely to
> be a problem; as you know, we already consume a lot of notifications.

Yes, adding the needed notifications to do this is part of the plan.
This sort of info is pretty much exactly what  Nova's notifications were created for.
(The main benefit is that this will make ceilometer more hypervisor independant.)

I am putting together blueprints for Nova for this right now.

--
	-Monsyne Dragon