[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jan 30 14:17:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:

>> I don't think Ceilometer collector is going to store raw notifications.
>> There's no point into the whole Ceilometer project to store this data.
>
> Perhaps in your deployment, we have downstream clients that are
> definitely going to want access to the rich information. We may be able
> to pare that down to a smaller subset, but right now we have no idea
> what they're going to want.
>
>> Your best call here is probably to keep that part of StackTach if you
>> really need all the raw notifications.
>
> Well, that's not our goal here. We don't want to maintain two
> applications for archiving.

Right, but I don't think we will bend Ceilometer to do something else
that it's supposed to do. Ceilometer is a metering project, not a
OpenStack notification archival project.

>> For things are likely to be meter (i.e. things with a duration and/or a
>> volume), you can write some Ceilometer notification plugin building a
>> bunch of meter from what you get. Multi-publisher can also help you
>> building more advanced counter through the use of transformer if you
>> wish.
>
> Do you mean a nova compute notification plugin?
>
> That's the sort of thing we want to get away from, installing custom
> stuff on the compute nodes.

Err, no, that's not what I mean. Actually, I don't understand how you
read "nova compute notification plugin" in my sentence. Is it from
"transformer"? I refer to the transformers we defined in the
multi-publisher blueprints:

   http://wiki.openstack.org/Ceilometer/blueprints/multi-publisher

Or is something else?

--