[openstack-dev] Within a VM Instance, any method to access information that a cloud controller has?

Esun Kim veblush+openstack at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:11:44 UTC 2013

> > Hi!
> >
> > These day I try to find way to let VM instances access information
> > that a cloud controller has. VM instances already have a limited
> > way to get information by using server meta-data system.
> > But meta-data don't look customizable and I'm not sure that this spot
> > is a good starting point for providing additional data to VMs.
> > I want to give a specific VM instance a full VM list in a tenant
> > which is too big to be put into meta-data and dynamic.
> >
> > Any suggestions and experiences are welcome!
>
> I would suggest giving the vm credentials to hit the public api in this case.
> Putting large dynamic data in metadata seems a bit messy.
>
> You could lock down role permissions a bit and create a role that only has
> permission to list vms.
>
> Vish

Thanks for your suggestion.

You mean that to handle this problem,

1. Make a link between a VM instance and a cloud controller
   by configuration some network.
2. Treat a VM instance as a normal node (like a compute-node) and
   provide a service to a VM under the role control.

Is it right? And I'm curious whether making a VM instance communicate
with a cloud-controller directly is possible (without Quantum) and
whether it's a recommended way to handle this problem.
Because I expected that VM instances should use a hosting compute-node
to communicate something outside of the VM world with
a local-link address used for meta-data service.

Esun.