[openstack-dev] [nova] Block Device mapping and supporting cd-roms

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 14:18:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:41:19PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I think one of the things I'd like to see before looking at any further
> patches is a clear illustration of the various different config scenarios
> we're aiming at supporting.
>
> eg a set of  nova boot command line examples, showing how to express
> all the different possible configurations we need.
>
> It is hard to infer what is possible in this respect from just looking
> at patch reviews.

I created a wiki page describing what I think we need to be able to
handle in terms of block device mapping for Nova in general. This is
basically the set of parameters described in the test Vish quoted
earlier in this thread. In addition though, I have had a go at
specifying a suitable syntax for 'nova boot' (and friends) to use
for specifying the block device mapping

  http://wiki.openstack.org/BlockDeviceConfig

my intent is that this obsoletes the '--image' and '--block-deice-mapping'
parameters, though they obviously need to remain for back compatibility
so can't just be removed. The new syntax is intended to be more expressive
to facilitate readability and future expansion should we need it.

The missing piece is describing what data format we should use at the
API level, and then possibly what we need todo about data stored in
the DB for this - how to migrate existing data to any new schema used.

Regards,
Daniel