[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Federated Identity Management and user creation

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 12:41:28 UTC 2013

Hi Adam

I have addressed auditability in my previous post. Misuse can still be
addressed even with transient IDs and transient users, so no further
comments here on that issue.

In our initial implementation of FIM we did indeed create new users in
Keystone for every new user arriving from an IDP. This has two negative
consequences

a) we cannot deal with users with transient IDs (as can be produced by
Shibboleth) so we have to mandate that permanent IDs are used by all
IDPs (which Shibboleth can do). Still its a (minor) limitation.

b) we have a housekeeping problem of knowing when to delete old users
from the user database. In our initial implementation we did not address
this, so the database just keeps on growing unless manual intervention
takes place. This is a tricky problem to solve. When should an entry be
deleted? Time limits is not an adequate solution. My account at Kent has
been active for 8 years and growing, whereas students accounts are
deleted each year. Should the IDP notify Keystone every time its
database is updated? Or something else?

So we thought that a better option would be to only hold transient user
entries in Keystone for the duration of the validity time of the
identity assertion from the IdP. This solves the user management
problem, as well as the rights revocation problem, since a user now only
has rights for the duration of his session. (If you want active
revocation in the middle of a session this is a different issue.) User
management is pushed right back to the IDP, which is the right place for
it. The IDP keeps its user database up to date, and only current users
will be given credentials to access Keystone.

As far as I can tell the only negative consequence is on a service which
currently uses the user ID in its access control list. Since Keystone
creates this ID automatically when a user entry is created, then the
same user will have different ID for different sessions. So the user ID
ACL system wont work without either

a) Federated Keystone having a different way of assigning unique IDs to
user entries, so that the IDs can be the same for the same user even if
the entry is deleted then created again, or
b) services using a different attribute type in their ACLs (one that
still contains a permanent unique ID for the user).

regards

David