[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Scheduling & device management for LBaaS

Avishay Balderman AvishayB at Radware.com
Sun Jan 27 13:28:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

As discussed previously in the ML (by Samuel Bercovici). the scheduler should be part of the device and not global as can be seen in the attached picture.
The only global logic is the selection of the appropriate Driver based on service type/capabilities.

The device selection logic might be based on vendor specific logic which is not be relevant in a global scope.
In addition, the appropriate registration of the different devices as well as the provisioning logic is unique to each vendor.

As we (Radware) plan to manage the placement in the Driver, we will not be using any of the logic discussed.
Is there any reason prohibiting the scheduling logic to be used by the HA Proxy driver privately and not as a global logic?
If other vendors want to use the device scheduler for their implementation, they can utilize this class the is also provided for the HA proxy.
Moreover, such class could be placed in a shared directory (ex: LBaaS_utility) so that anyone who wishes to use it, could get it from there.

Thanks

Avishay

From: Eugene Nikanorov [mailto:enikanorov at mirantis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:21 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: [openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Scheduling & device management for LBaaS

Hi folks,

I'd like to present blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-service-scheduler which I feel needs to be in grizzly.
You can find more detailed description in specification page.

Initially we planned to have comprehensive device management as separate plugin with extension and complicated schedulers.
However due to the lack of time and reviewer resources we desided to greatly reduce the scope of this work.
So, currently the code on review ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20225/ ) introduces the following:
1) Configuration management for service schedulers, e.g. admin can configure particular scheduler for particular service type
2) Simplistic scheduler for lbaas:
  - scheduling algorithm that randomly chooses a device from list of devices
  - device manager that reads devices from predefined conf-file (suggestion from Salvatore)

I believe this is reasonable minimum that will allow to use LBaaS service at least with some convenience.
(In fact, I'd provide some more scheduling algorithms)

We have also started to integrate this code with code of lbaas-agent-and-rpc<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/lbaas-agent-and-rpc> according to the call sequence diagram:
http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum/LBaaS/Architecture/Scheduler
So we plan that this code will be base patch for lbaas-agent-and-rpc<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/lbaas-agent-and-rpc>.

Thanks,