[openstack-dev] [Nova] Database changes coming in Grizzly

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 21:44:13 UTC 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 8:38 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:24:08AM -0800, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
>> * Non-blocking-db -
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/non-blocking-db
>> - Use eventlet's db-pool so that MySQL queries don't block the whole
>> python process.
>> - Progress: done, but has a known bug (
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1097992 )
>> - Impact: user-facing. This feature is disabled by default; deployer must
>> choose to enable it.
>
> IMHO this kind of config parameter is really dubious. If the feature
> works then we should enable it so that people testing Grizzly actually
> exercise the code. If it doesn't work there's no point having a config
> parameter to enable it, because the toggling it just gives them a broken
> system. Assuming the known bug gets fixed, IMHO the config parameter
> should be removed so that we get real testing of it by everyone using
> and developing Grizzly, not just the 1 or 2 people who might have
> manually enabled it.
>
> Daniel

The issue is that last time we merged the code (diablo release), we discovered
an issue after the fact and had to patch it back out. Unfortunately the bug
was only showing up in multinode installs under load, so we added it back
in protected by a config option so we could do some testing with it in larger
installs. I don't want to turn it on my default until we are sure that the
previous issues are fixed.

Vish