[openstack-dev] [heat] Future of the cfn-tools

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jan 25 18:42:20 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 11:28 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> There is one known issue that anybody wanting to package
> aws-cfn-bootstrap in a distro would have to circumvent: the current
> tools are installed (appropriately) in /opt/aws/bin.

This is all but appropriate ...

> Amazon, through
> their example templates, have encouraged people to use the
> fully-qualified path (e.g. /opt/aws/bin/cfn-init) when calling them,
> instead of just adding /opt/aws/bin to $PATH.

Stupid example, if you ask me.

> The latter would have made
> the transition to including the tools in the distro (where packaging in
> /opt is *not* appropriate) transparent, but the former most certainly
> does not. I have several ideas for working around this, none of them
> good ;)

I have discussed this with upstream authors of Heat, when they showed me
the package. For a distro like Debian, packaging anything in /opt is a
no-go. This goes against the FSHS.

Though, one thing that could be done is a userland script (that would be
called on the command line explicitly by the users, eg *not* by a
postinst script or the like) that would create some symlinks in /opt in
order to get the compatibility. This would be compliant with the Debian
policy manual, IMO.

Cheers,

Thomas