[openstack-dev] Need for a String Freeze for documenters/translators

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 25 13:28:56 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

At the last design summit we discussed the need for introducing a String
Freeze in our development cycle. It was decided to propose it in time on
the ML, so here it goes.

A String Freeze is a deadline for submitting changes that affect
translatable strings (log messages) or documentation (think config
option names, user-visible changes).

Under String Freeze, changing those requires an exception process (tbd)
that involves properly warning documenters and translators about it, and
making sure the change is worth the extra hassle imposed on them.

Is it a good idea ? Is it solving a real problem ? Should it happen at
the same time a FeatureFreeze (February 19), or slightly afterwards
(like March 5, one month before final release) ?

Comments welcome,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack