[openstack-dev] Motion on Technical Committee membership for Spring 2013 session

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 24 16:44:15 UTC 2013

Anne Gentle wrote:
> I thought of one more concern I have here.
>
> The role of PTL is backbreaking work for large projects. Wouldn't
> someone (or their manager) be motivated to focus on TC campaigns and
> influence rather than day-to-day PTL work with this narrowing scope of
> seats?
>
> Seems we'd demotivate the behavior we need, day-to-day hands-on work by
> technical leaders. We still need consensus-builders as well, but the
> point of the TC is not to separate those roles (technical decisions and
> get-along attitudes)
>
> Anyone else see it that way?

The PTL is much more influential than a TC member. The PTL has ultimate
(and *unshared*) say on what happens over his project. He takes precise
day-to-day technical decisions, and can do all by himself.

Comparing that to just one vote on a committee of 13 members that
address cross-project issues and express their opinion on a handful of
issues every 6 months... I'm pretty sure it's clear what position ends
up being more influential.

--
Thierry