[openstack-dev] Motion on Technical Committee membership for Spring 2013 session

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 10:45:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 11:28 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the discussion at [1], option (3) appears to have supporters,
> no strong opposition or amendments proposed. No alternate option was
> fully detailed, and we need to come to a decision ASAP in order to set
> the agenda for the upcoming Spring 2013 elections.
>
> I therefore propose the following special motion for voting at the next
> Technical Committee meeting. The business summary is that all TC members
> would be directly-elected

I think this is a really positive step forward.

> , and all elections (PTLs and TC) would happen
> at the same time, with 10 members being elected at the Spring 2013
> election. If you have comments, please reply to openstack-dev for public
> discussion.
>
> """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
> 1. Amend the "TC Members" section of the Technical Committee Charter[2]
> like this:
>
> =TC Members=
> The TC is composed of *13 directly-elected members*. It is partially
> renewed using elections every 6 months. All TC members must be OpenStack
> Foundation individual members. You can cumulate any other role,
> including Foundation Director, with a TC seat.
>
> 2. Amend the "Election for PTL seats" section like this:
>
> =Election for PTL seats=
> PTL seats are completely renewed every 6 months. A separate election is
> run for each core project and each library project that has its own PTL.
> These elections are collectively held *4* weeks prior to each design
> summit, with nominations due *5* weeks prior to the summit and elections
> held open for no less than five business days.

Continuing to refer to PTL "seats" is a bit strange - how about
s/seats/positions/ ?

i.e. the PTL role is a position within the project, not a seat on the TC

> 3.Amend the "Election for extra TC seats" section like this:
>
> =Election for *TC seats*=
> The *13 TC seats* are partially renewed every 6 months using staggered
> elections: *7* seats are renewed every Fall, and *6* seats are renewed
> every Spring. For this election we'll use a multiple-winner election
> system (see below). The election is held *4* weeks prior to each design
> summit, with nominations due *5* weeks prior to the summit and elections
> held open for no less than five business days.
>
> 4. For the Spring 2013 elections, we'll exceptionally elect 10 members.
> The first 6 will be granted a one-year term, while the next 4 will be
> granted a 6-month term.
> """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>
> Note that according to our Charter[2] special motions need the
> affirmative vote of at least *two-thirds* of the total number of TC
> members (that means: more "YES" than "NO" votes, and at least 9 "YES").
> If the special motion doesn't pass, the status quo is preserved, which
> means if new core/integrated projects get added, their PTLs will
> automatically get TC seats and increase the committee size above 13.

This is an important point - we have projects graduating from incubation
soon and we're trying to both avoid the TC size growing and avoid a
project failing to graduate because the TC didn't want to add another
PTL to the TC.

Cheers,
Mark.