[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Domains, Projects, and Groups are all collections

Henry Nash henryn at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 23 19:58:53 UTC 2013

Adam,

So first off, I think we need to a little careful in the into to this (for instance there is no such thing as a grant of a group to a user, which you imply), rather today we have two concepts:

membership, of which examples are:
- projects, users and groups are members of domains
- user are members of groups
- (as a hangover from previous versions) users can be members of tenants, but there is no explicit api interface for this anymore

grants, of which examples are:
- grant role X to user Y on project Z
- grant role A to group B on domain C

Now I can imagine some immediate collapsing of some f these, e.g.:

a) You could have a single grant table that had role, actor, target as columns that could store all grants (since all IDs are unique)
b) You could, as discussed, map the legacy user<->tenant membership into this same table with the role as "legacy_tenant_membership" or something

Beyond that, I think we are in danger of trying de-normalise the relationship of various tables into one mega relationship which may cause more confusion than it gains.

Just my 2cents

Henry