[openstack-dev] swift client for Xen on dom0

Nikhil Komawar nikhil.komawar at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 23 15:24:36 UTC 2013

Hey Chmouel,

Thanks for your comments! Please find some answers to your concerns below.

Actually, there already is an emulated swift-client in the patch (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/17803/10/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/swift_client.py). Though, we would like to keep it trimmed to meet just about the current requirements.

Initially, we preferred having python-swiftclient on dom0 and found that there are following roadblocks:

having to deploy updated swift client on dom0
it adds another package on dom0 (making the Ops guys nervous)
auth v2 for swift needs keystone client which would have to be added there as well
we need to meet the dependencies if they change in the future
keeping up with swift client instead of the dedicated code for nova-swift communication
agreed that cut paste code is more susceptible to security fixes
however, this way the entire service would be vulnerable if there is some change in swift-client and nova-swift communication is not updated accordingly
We would like to be there at the Swift meeting today (Wed 23rd), if you think it would be essential.

thanks,
-Nikhil