[openstack-dev] [Quantum] [LBaaS]Issues with supported protocols for VIPs and Pools

Roman Prykhodchenko rprikhodchenko at mirantis.com
Wed Jan 23 14:30:57 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

Recently I discovered that it's impossible to specify TCP protocol when
creating a VIP. After I started fixing that issue I found out that the
problem is a little bit deeper and requires some assistance of the
community to solve it.
Currently it's impossible to specify TCP protocol when creating a VIP
because only HTTP and HTTPS values are supported. However, you can
create a Pool and supply any string value for it's protocol.

It's not too hard to add some constraints to the DB schema and to the
REST API. The problem is that we do not know what protocols will be
supported by the drivers and also we cannot predict that. I can see 3
possible solutions:
1. Get rid of validation to allow specifying any value. This is not
foolproof at all but provides the biggest flexibility.
2. Modify the schema  and the API to support all basic protocols (HTTP,
HTTPS, TCP, UDP, IP). This is foolproof but may cause a problem in the
case when someone needs something extraordinary.
3. Poll all configured drivers and add all supported protocols to the
API. This will allow to have something extraordinary configured but we
can only add constraints to the API but not to the database schema.

So, what do you think about this issue?

- Roman Prykhodchenko