[openstack-dev] XCP/Xenapi on Ubuntu Precise on folsom

John Garbutt John.Garbutt at citrix.com
Mon Jan 21 13:49:55 UTC 2013

The admin guide tries to explain the current deployment architecture here:
http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/introduction-to-xen.html#xenapi-deployment-architecture

Feedback on how to make that clearer is very welcome.

The easiest way of getting this quickly setup, I think, is DevStack (see tools/xen directory). But, from memory, I had to explicitly set the XenServer URL and in the localrc file  I had to set:
GI_ENABLE=false

The reason we deploy in a VM is:
- XenServer's Dom0 doesn't have python 2.6
- No need to modify XenServer's Dom0, easier to support at some point
- Follows in the direction Xen is heading: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Dom0_Disaggregation

Clearly XCP-XAPI doesn't have these restrictions around python 2.6. Also, it should be fairly easy to look at deploying nova-compute in dom0, with minimal code changes. Sadly I haven't had the time to look into doing that.

John