[openstack-dev] [keystone] A default domain

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 05:19:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Henry Nash <henryn at linux.vnet.ibm.com>wrote:

> Building on the question on how the v3 APIs might operation (e.g. create
> user, project etc.) when the (optional) domain_id is omitted....first some
> goals:
>
> 1) We want those cloud providers who don't need domains to be able to use
> either the v2 or v3 api calls - i.e. they can use the latest s/w and still
> operate their cloud like it was in Folsom (in terms of keystone
> user-project relationships).
> 2) For operators that start using domains, we want it to be conceptually
> obvious what sets of entities that various api calls will be able to see.
>  This needs to take into account  domains with private user or project
> namespaces.
>
> Taking this bp as a stating point in terms of having a default domain
> (that will contain any pre-Girzzly user and projects/tenants), what happens
> when a v3 API call is made to create a user or project without specifying a
> domain?  The options are:
> a) Create the entity in the domain of the user doing the creation.  If
> this is a user that exists in the default domain (e.g. a pre-Grizzly user),
> then that's where the new resource goes (I would assume we treat "admin" as
> being in the default domain).
> b) Always create the entity in the default domain
> c) Insist on the specification of a domain if more than just the default
> domain exists (i.e. it's a multi-domain configuration)

d) Always insist on the specification of a domain
e) Create the entity in the domain of the user doing the creation, unless
another domain is specified.

(A) is broken in use cases where I need to be allowed to create users in
other domains (creating domains and users to administer them, for instance).

(B) is broken for the same reason; I shouldn't have to create an object and
then move it to where I want it to go.

(C) brings up some questions that I worry will only lead to bug reports
(what if I deleted the default domain but I still have this other domain
that doesn't match the default_domain_id, etc)

(D) is obvious, but perhaps inconvenient for a subset of users (those that
ONLY administer their own domain).

(E) offers the convenience of (A) with the power of (D). I can't think of a
use case that this breaks?