[openstack-dev] EC2 Compatibility?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 17 09:03:42 UTC 2013

Matt Joyce wrote:
> * **API Compatibility**: Nova strives to provide API-compatible with
> popular systems like Amazon EC2
>
> Is this still true?  I know there were discussions last year within the
> TC about dropping this.  At the summit is sounded like this had been a
> decision that was unofficially reversed.
>
> Do we have a ruling on EC2 specifically?  What about other APIs?

About the "discussions": The PPB last year made the decision that "an
OpenStack project will support an official API in it's core
implementation (the OpenStack API). other APIs will be implemented
external to core". At that point there was also commitment by a group of
devs to reimplement EC2 API support as a proxy layer (the AWSOME project).

That proxy project did not make a lot of progress, and the last part of
last year saw the introduction of other desirable APIs. The TC revisited
this PPB decision in November and approved to the following motion[1]:

The previous aspirational statement that the PPB made in May 2012 about
3rd party APIs being implemented external to core stands. However, where
a given project does not yet expose a "stable, complete, performant
interface" for 3rd party APIs to build on, that project may choose to
accept proposed new APIs in the interim if it sees fit.

So, to answer your original question, Nova still strives to provide
API-compatible with popular systems like Amazon EC2. Where that support
is lacking, bugs should be filed and fixed.

Regards,

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg18586.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)