[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Windows ^M (Carriage Return) policy

Alessandro Pilotti ap at pilotti.it
Wed Jan 16 09:48:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

Python has no issues with CRLF or LF return sequences, but I'd go with LF only for the followin reasons:

Most Linux editors don't recognizig CRLF, e.g. "vi" shows "^M"
Consistency with the rest of the project source code

Git has an optional feature on Window to automatically convert CRLF->LF during push, but this cannot be used in cases in which the developer works also on unrelated projects where CRLF as a required convention.

As checking for forgotten CRLF returns on Windows requires a file by file inspection, my proposal is to add a check in "tox" to refuse files with CRLF endings and also a visual highlight in the Gerrit source / diff viewer for visual identification of those line endings during review.

Note: I'd apply the above rules across all openstack projects, not only Quantum.

Thanks,

Alessandro