[openstack-dev] RFC: Synchronizing hypervisor <-> nova state with event notifications

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Tue Jan 15 19:03:43 UTC 2013

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:32:31AM -0400, Sandy Walsh wrote:

>>> Yes, thanks to eventlet awfulness, we'd need to have a greenthread running
>>> the libvirt event loop.  The event notification callbacks from libvirt
>>> would thus obviously execute in the greenthread. What I'm not sure about
>>> is how to switch control back to the main eventlet thread before we call
>>> out into the manager.py's callback.
>>>
>>> I imagine a queue of events in the nova.virt.libvirt.driver object which
>>> is fed back the libvirt greenthread callbacks. Something in the main
>>> eventlet thread would then have to process the queue to dispatch to the
>>> manager. With a regular mainloop the way you'd do this is to schedule a
>>> timer to fire after zero seconds. I'm not familiar enough with eventlet
>>> yet to know how you'd do this.
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea. My immediate concern is what happens if we miss
>> or drop the callback? How will the downstream consumers of the
>> notifications get the update?
>
> I'm not really sure what makes you think a callback could be missed
> or dropped. It is just another python method call in nova-compute.
> In any case the existing periodic task could still reconcille state
> even if events were used.

The event could get dropped from anything downstream. The issue is, once
gone, there's no recovery. At least with the existing mechanism, if it
did get dropped we'd recover on the next one. Keep the existing periodic
task is fine, but almost defeats the purpose of the whole exercise, no?

>> Beyond that, could the callback write to the rabbit queue directly,
>> either as a notification or as a new RPC call?
>
> The RPC layer isn't involved at all here. This is just about interaction
> between nova.compute.manager & nova.virt.api classes which are all in the
> same process.

Gotcha, I saw "event notifications" in the subject and was assuming that
the was end-goal.