[openstack-dev] A new nova service? nova-periodic?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 13:07:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 07:59 +1100, Michael Still wrote:
>  - we change the periodic task running code to fork() a process every
> time it needs to run an "external" periodic task, it then wait()s for
> those processes later in its loop: means you can have as many slow
> periodic tasks as you want without them blocking each other, makes the
> periodic task running more complex and therefore more likely to have
> bugs, easy to deploy, transparent to users.

Works for me. I'd be a little wary of issues we might see in the forked
process around duplicated file descriptors and the like, so another
option could be to implement nice scripts for each task which we'd
exec().

This has the nice advantage of allow the admin to run the periodic task
script directly for whatever reason. Maybe a single nova-compute-task
script?

Cheers,
Mark.