[openstack-dev] A new nova service? nova-periodic?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 10:11:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 07:28:02PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Michael Still
> <michael.still at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > What do people think about adding another nova service which runs beside
> > nova-compute and runs periodic tasks which don't need any sort of shared
> > global state with nova-compute? We could do it with a flag so that the
> > default remains to use nova-compute for these periodic tasks, but if you
> > "opt in" they're done with a nova-periodic instead.
>
> Now that the periodic tasks refactor is done, I've just sent off a
> code review which implements a external periodic task runner. Its at
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19539/

This thread has quite a large number of objections to the proposed
introduction of this new service, which AFAIK, were never resolved.
IMHO it is premature to be considering a merge of the feature until
there is broad agreement that it is a good idea.

Once we introduce a formal 'nova-periodic' binary, then we have back
compat support issues to consider for future releases, so it is not
a zero-cost feature despite it being said to be optional.

Regards,
Daniel