[openstack-dev] CPU reservation/entitlement in Nova

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Mon Jan 14 06:28:47 UTC 2013

Dear all,

We have started working on implementation of CPU reservation/entitlement
mechanism in Nova (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/cpu-entitlement).
The idea is to allow associating explicit CPU allocation guarantees, in a
more flexible way than it is done today in CoreFilter -- the user/admin
will be able to define different CPU allocation guarantees for different
instances. The approach we are taking is to use extra_specs of instance
types to indicate the desired level of CPU allocation guarantees per vCPU
(e.g., low=25% of a physical CPU, normal=50%, high=100%), which would
apply to all instances created from the corresponding type. This fits
nicely the resource model of most of the hypervisors, which have support
for CPU guarantees built-in. For KVM, we are implementing the allocation
guarantees using cpu shares in cgroups (by controlling the cpu shares of
each instance and the total amount of shares allocated on a host). You can
find more details in the wiki page linked from the blueprint.

Would appreciate thoughts whether the approach we are taking makes sense,
or any other feedback.

Thanks!
Alex

--