[openstack-dev] Host CPU feature exposure

Kevin Lyda kevin at ie.suberic.net
Fri Jan 11 21:24:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 02:42 PM, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
> Dan has mentioned a few times that non-x86 CPUs do *not* have feature flags.

That's not exactly accurate.

This is a decent list of every architecture's cpuinfo output generators:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=cpuinfo_op

Perusing through them you will discover the following:

cpu flags: sh
features: arm, avr32, ia64, openrisc, s390, unicore32
flags: tile, x86

Reasons why these things matter:
http://blog.picloud.com/2013/01/08/when-ec2-hardware-changes-underneath-you/

I'm new to openstack and learning my way around, but it would be quite
nice to have a heterogenous cluster with an ability to request certain
cpu features/flags and to have those characteristics automatically
exposed.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda