[openstack-dev] _() consensus??

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jan 7 09:19:41 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> It still makes sense to have REST API messages and log messages be in
> separate translation domains, though.

Yes. We all agree on the need to provide good translation for
user-facing API messages, while there is disagreement on the priority of
translating random operator-facing log messages. Currently we do a
generally bad job on trying to translate both. Creating two domains
would help us reach good coverage on the most important part first.

Basically, we shouldn't talk about translating all messages while we
don't provide good translation for the most important subset of them.
Creating two domains lets us prioritize the translations work -- and if
we can't even reach 99% on user-facing messages, then I'd say we should
reconsider the idea of trying to translate the operator-facing ones.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack