[openstack-dev] Command line verbose and debug flag behavior

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 06:57:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 21:39 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We have a bug 989268 [1] with a review 18110 in progress [2] which
> proposes the following change.
>
> Current Behavior - when debug or verbose flag is set then log level is
> DEBUG. default log level is INFO when neither flag is set
> New Behavior - when debug flag is set then log level is DEBUG, when
> verbose flag is set then log level is INFO. default log level is
> WARNING when neither flag is set
>
> Is this acceptable? Please chime in here on the mailing list or on the
> review itself.

I think the new behaviour makes far more sense, so the only concern is
backwards compatibility.

The implication is that folks with the verbose flag set will no longer
get debugging and folks with neither flag set will no longer get info
messages.

That's definitely something that could catch people out, but perhaps
it's not too big a deal if we add it to the release notes.

Cheers,
Mark.