[openstack-dev] development environment for Ubuntu-based release of OpenStack?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 2 11:15:02 UTC 2013

Alex Glikson wrote:
> The problem is that the baseline is not exactly essex. It also includes
> few patches from folsom-1 (as far as I remember, based on Ubuntu release
> notes). So, I don't know which branch to use.

Ubuntu Essex packages for 12.04 LTS are based on the stable/essex
branches of OpenStack (which definitely includes Folsom/Grizzly bugfixes
backports). There may be some minor packaging patches left (see [1]),
but you will have a reasonably good approximation if you use the
stable/essex branch of devstack.

If you need to work from *exact* Ubuntu packages for some reason, then
you can't really avoid Ubuntu packaging workflow: check out packaging
branch[2], add your own patches, build your packages from that and
deploy them. That's a more difficult road, but Ubuntu developers should
be able to help you getting off the ground.

[1]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/nova/precise/files/head:/debian/patches/

[2] https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/nova/precise

--