[openstack-dev] Dependency version pinning [was Re: Pyparsing 2.0 breaking jenkins jobs]

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at au1.ibm.com
Thu Feb 28 11:59:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:36:52 -0500
Sean Dague <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> If no one wants the gate to work before noon EST any more we can
> leave things unpinned. With pycon in 2 weeks I'm sure these are not
> the only 2 breaks we're going to see on this.
>
> I agree we need some way of figuring out that it's safe to move
> forward, but the current model means we can loose 1/2 day of merging
> because of something we don't control at all.

How about this:

- What if by default we pin *everything*.
- Have a CI machine running a job in the background that uses the
  latest version of everything except where we explicitly pin to a
  specific version because of a known issue.
- Have that job notify us when the gating tests pass with a later version
  of a package succeeds
  - maybe this can be automatically passed on to the normal gating
    machines and automatically upgrade the pinned version specified.
- Have the job loudly and repeatedly tell us when the system is broken
  with a newer package (have it spam openstack-dev mailing list and IRC)
  so people will know and be motivated to fix it.

That way we find out about compatibility problems ASAP but we have a
controlled way of managing the changes necessary into projects and not
end up with the gate stalled for hours at random times.

Chris
cyeoh at au1.ibm.com