[openstack-dev] [keystone] re-ordering of schema migrations

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 14:06:00 UTC 2013

> On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 08:09 -0500, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > When looking into an error encountered on a keystone db sync,
> > I noticed some apparent strangeness in the way keystone schema
> > migrations have been managed.
> >
> > Specifically the *rewriting* of schema migration history, see:
> >
> >   https://github.com/openstack/keystone/commit/5bc46d86
> >
> > In my (albeit imperfect) understanding of sqlalchemy-migrate, this
> > reordering seems to defeat the whole purpose of step-wise
> > reversible
> > migration.
> >
> > Would it even be possible to migrate a grizzly-2 deployment to
> > grizzly-3 with that re-ordering in place?
> >
> > Maybe I've missed something here, but I'd appreciate some clarity
> > on what is considered community best practice in terms of changes
> > to the migration sequence.
> >
> > Previously I would have assumed something like ...
> >
> > Invariants we maintain:
> >
> >  - DB schemas must always be migrate-able across milestone releases
>
> (snip good stuff)
>
> It's more than just across milestone releases, we should support
> upgrading from commit to commit.

Yeah I debated that point internally while drafting the email and
came down on the side of the more loose invariant, as milestones
are "stood over" by the community in a more explicit way than
individual commits.

But in fairness to the trunk chasers out there, and given how
central schema migration is to any upgrade, I see your point
that maintaining commit-to-commit migration is really where
we'd want to be.

Cheers,
Eoghan