[openstack-dev] Dependency version pinning [was Re: Pyparsing 2.0 breaking jenkins jobs]

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 10:39:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 18:40 +1100, Kieran Spear wrote:
> It must be a day for breaking releases. pyparsing 2.0 was just uploaded to
> pypi and is not compatible with python 2.x.
> Quantumclient is pulling it in.
>
> See:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22295/
> http://logs.openstack.org/22295/2/gate/gate-horizon-python26/1655/console.html
>
> quantumclient has been fixed to pin pyparsing [1], but the commit hasn't
> made it into a pypi release yet.
> Do we need a 2.1.1 release of quantumclient?

You know, pinning should only ever be a short-term solution. At some
point, distributions are going to have the newer version of any given
package and we need to be able to work with that.

Really, any time we pin to a specific dependency version we should also
file a bug to track the work needed to unpin it again.

Thanks,
Mark.