[openstack-dev] Seeking reviews - Advanced Matchmaking blueprint (has FFE)

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Feb 22 18:39:10 UTC 2013

A feature-freeze exception was granted on the advanced matchmaking blueprint.

I'm looking for reviewers, as I've had difficulty attracting eyes to this patch:
 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20434/

The matchmaker is used by the ZeroMQ RPC driver to resolve hosts within round-robin and fanout exchanges. The advanced matchmaker seeks to add a heartbeat capability to the API, and introduces a redis-bsed matchmaker that implements the new API methods. Presently, the only way to deploy ZeroMQ messaging is to have each message publisher have a static host map, listing each host that it may publish a message to.  This patch lets one deploy ZeroMQ as they deploy RabbitMQ, by attaching arbitrary consumers to receive messages for a topic.

The old way of configuration is still valid and for many installations may be preferable, but there for some OpenStack projects or deployments, there will be a clear need or preference to have a pattern that more closely matches AMQP's concept of a consumer subscribing to messages, rather then the other way around.

Note that I expect that in Havana, the MatchMaker will become optional for the AMQP drivers as well, as there is value in having destination determinism when signing messages, and a necessity for such determinism when contemplating message confidentiality. The more time this code has to be seen and used, the more mature it will be when we meet those eventualities.

Regards,
Eric Windisch