[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] - LBaaS current state review

Avishay Balderman AvishayB at Radware.com
Thu Feb 21 16:34:47 UTC 2013

Hi

1)      Yes. I am talking about https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22279/5 . Currently there is 1:1 ratio between the Vip and the Quantum Port ("port_id = sa.Column(sa.String(36), sa.ForeignKey('ports.id'), unique=True)")

2)      I hope the attachment will make my point better understood.

Thanks

Avishay

From: Dan Wendlandt [mailto:dan at nicira.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:47 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] - LBaaS current state review

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Avishay Balderman <AvishayB at radware.com<mailto:AvishayB at radware.com>> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We have reviewed all the current pending blue prints and changes and are also aware on the effort to move the HA Proxy solution to a host based vs. VM based.
We have also commented on the gerrit changes themselves but to keep the big picture follows a concentration of remarks and issues:

1)      Can't assign multiple Vips to a single Port. The current database model and API assumes a one to one relationship between a Vip and a Quantum Port. It should be apparent that one LB service could serve multiple VIPs attached to the same network vi a single quantum port.

a.       We would like to ask for a Many Vips to One quantum Port relationship.

Are you talking about https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22279/5? Eugene and I talked about this last night.  I think Mark's main goal is to make sure that a VIP is not created with an IP that is already in use by another entity on the network (e.g., a nova VM).  That said, I think we may be able to do something more flexible than maintain that an IP is used by exactly one VIP.  For example, the port could just be owned by the lbaas plugin as a whole, with the plugin enforcing that IP + port is unique per VIP.

2)      Quantum Port is allocated by the LBaaS plug-in before it gets executed by the Driver.

a.       We would like to be able to allocate the quantum Port and if needed reuse it by the Driver and return it back (to LBaaS plug-in) after the Vip is created.

b.      Alternatively, we would still like to allocate a quantum Port in the Driver and then re-parent the IP address from the pre-allocated Port to the new Port. The new Port should be returned back (to LBaaS plug-in) after the Vip is created. The old Port should be deleted.
Not sure I follow here.  I think it should be possible for the driver to "plug" into a port created by the plugin's API code, which seems like (a).  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Dan

Thanks
                Avishay