[openstack-dev] Broken dependencies

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Feb 20 23:00:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013, Gary Kotton <gkotton at redhat.com> wrote:
> > We have a problem with the devstack gating:
> >
> > 013-02-19 16:01:38.951 | 2013-02-19 16:01:38 Installed
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests-0.14.2-py2.7.egg
> > 2013-02-19 16:01:38.952 | 2013-02-19 16:01:38 error: Installed
> distribution prettytable 0.7 conflicts with requirement
> prettytable>=0.6,<0.7
> >
> > This may be due to https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22151/
>
> The problem is that while quantumclient was updated to stricter version,
> cinderclient and keystoneclient haven't:
>

> https://github.com/openstack/python-cinderclient/blob/master/tools/pip-requires
>
> https://github.com/openstack/python-keystoneclient/blob/master/tools/pip-requires
>
> In my case, pip installs cinderclient before quantumclient and since
> cinderclient installs the latest version, it will install 0.7. Then pip
> fails later when quantumclient needs an older version.
>
> glanceclient has already been updated as well:
>

> https://github.com/openstack/python-glanceclient/blob/master/tools/pip-requires
>
> This is causing me problems right now trying to create a virtualenv from
> scratch. I worked around it be ensuring that prettytable 0.6 gets
> installed first (by installing python-glanceclient first).
>
> JE

So I've been dealing with patches coming in to cinder pinning the versions,
upon review finding that they conflict and rejecting them.  I'm happy to
try and set the ones in Cinder to match up assuming there aren't any
problems, but really those that upgraded should be responsible for figuring
out how to synch across the projects IMO.

So short term, lemme know what folks are thinking... long term we need to
get some traction on the whole openstack/requirements philosophy.

John