[openstack-dev] [oslo] Option conflict when mixing projects

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Feb 20 14:06:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 14:39 +0100, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 20 2013, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >
> > > If the code is running inside nova-compute, it should be using nova's
> > > CONF object - previously nova.openstack.common.cfg.CONF but since last
> > > night, oslo.config.cfg.CONF
> >
> > I don't think you understood the issue, but I might also not have been
> > totally clear.
> >
> > Here's the real problem we're facing:
> >
> > % python
> > Python 2.7.3 (default, Jan  2 2013, 13:56:14)
> > [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2
>
> Ok, so the issue is that the ceilometer code also needs to be using
> nova.openstack.common.rpc if it is running inside nova-compute

As Julien pointed out, we need to send RPC messages to a different
exchange. All of the service and RPC APIs currently assume that the
exchange comes from the config setting, rather than the caller, so unless
we run ceilometer and nova on the same exchange that won't work.

Although I agree that we should remove the global configuration, that's a
pretty big change to make to the library design at this point in the
schedule, so we were looking for less invasive ideas.

Doug