[openstack-dev] [keystone] domain name-space in v3

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:56:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM, SHAH, Ronak (Ronak R) <
ronak_r.shah at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> I understand the scope of the domain as a high level container in for
> projects, users and groups by referring @
> https://github.com/openstack/identity-api/blob/master/openstack-identity-api/src/markdown/identity-api-v3.md
> ****
>
> In current os services while accessing CLI such as nova, quantum etc, we
> have been asked about –os-username  and –os-tenant-name. ****
>
> Do we have plan to extend to extend that to provide something like
> –os-domain-name as well?

Yes, exactly. My current proposal for the v3 API in keystoneclient is to
assume a default domain ID of 'default' if neither an ID or name are
provided.

As part of a data migration, keystone is creating a 'default' domain
(optionally configurable in keystone.conf), and attaching all existing
projects and users to that domain. In a single-domain deployment, user's
won't have to specify a domain at all (as the 'default' domain will be
accurately assumed). In a multi-domain deployment, users will be required
to specify a domain, unless they want to use the default domain.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> My use-case involves me to have this object available in quantum while
> performing CRUD on any quantum object. Today I have tenant and user. I
> would also like to have domain in v3. ****
>
> One way to do is probably use quantumclient. But if we are creating
> namespace for it and passing along in context, beautiful!

When auth_token is v3-aware, I expect it to start providing a domain ID +
name in the wsgi environment, along with user ID + name, etc. I'm curious
why you're interested in having the domain available in quantum though?