[openstack-dev] Moving nova.conf compute driver options from [DEFAULT] to [DRIVER_NAME]

Alessandro Pilotti ap at pilotti.it
Fri Feb 15 10:22:29 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

As discussed with russelb and during the OpenStack Hyper-V meetings, it'd be a great to move compute driver specific onfigurations from nova.conf's [DEFAULT] group to a driver specific group (e.g. [LIBVIRT], [HYPERV], etc).

We already added new options in Grizzly to the [HYPERV] group and for consistency, before closing Grizzly, we'd like to move the existing Hyper-V ones added in Folsom there as well.

This approach could be IMO applied to all the drivers (in the Havana timeframe at this point, I guess).
The obvious issue is that breaking backwards compatibility is not an option.

openstack.common.cfg.Opt() offers a "deprecated_name" argument, but AFAIK this applies only for options belonging to the same group:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/openstack/common/cfg.py#L518

What about adding a "deprecated_group" as well or a "<group>.<option>" syntax for "deprecated_name"? This way we could handle the transition smoothly.

Getting back to the specific Hyper-V case, if deprecated options are not possible at this stage, we'd prefer to rename them anyway now. The Hyper-V support is far more complete in this release then it was in Folsom. Moving or deprecating the options in Havana will create way more confusion than doing it now.

Here are the Hyper-V config options that need to be moved to the [HYPERV] group:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/hyperv/vmops.py#L43
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/hyperv/volumeops.py#L35

Any additional ideas?

Thanks,