[openstack-dev] [marconi] API design questions/concerns

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Feb 14 20:41:24 UTC 2013

I tried to make the meeting today, but was a few minutes late and
apparently it was very short. :-/

I have a few concerns/questions about the current API design for Marconi (
http://wiki.openstack.org/marconi/specs/api/v1) that I wanted to bring up.

First, using PATCH to claim messages caught my eye. It seems like the
resources being changed are the messages, rather than the queue where the
message is sent, so PATCH seems like the wrong verb. Isn't it more
semantically correct to POST a claim request, and get a claim ID and list
of messages back? Updating a claim with PATCH makes sense.

Second, it looks like the plan is to just support JSON in v1. We've had
good luck building the v2 API for ceilometer using WSME, and getting JSON
and XML support without having to write custom (really any) serialization
code. If you're interested, take a look at
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/api/controllers/v2.pyfor
an example and hit me up here or on IRC (dhellmann in
openstack-metering) with any questions.

Doug