[openstack-dev] Volume Encryption

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Wed Feb 13 20:51:45 UTC 2013

Hello,

I believe that this discussion need actually be split into two parts:
encryption algorithms and specific tools, and key management.

The implementation of actual encryption are specific for every project. We
identified a number of blueprints which utilize encryption in one way or
another:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/access-key-authentication
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/encrypt-ephemeral-volumes
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/swift/+spec/encrypted-objects
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/encrypt-cinder-volumes

All these blueprints involve some key management, and it seems reasonable
to implement it as a shared component. Where does it belongs is a
discussion topic. Our understanding is that Keystone API could be extended
with new resource keys/ to proxy keys operations with pluggable back-end
drivers (much like Identity or Catalog).

Please, tell me if this sounds reasonable to you. Do you think this kind of
discussion should take place at Summit?

--
Best regards,
Oleg