[openstack-dev] [quantum][CLI]Specifying None values to attributes.

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Feb 8 18:55:14 UTC 2013

This is an important usability topic with have fallen a bit behind.
I recall Gary's proposal around an explicit 'clear' action, and I
remember Yong also has a patch for it.

I don't remember whether there was consensus on it; my concern was
just that from an usability and maintainability perspective probably
we can do better (what would be the possible actions beyond clearing
and setting it, where setting is achieved with an '='?, also I
generally tend to refrain from using magic values, because they always
caused me more pain than gain in the past).

Actually, we already do this through the CLI, although in a fairly
hardcoded way.
We can set a gateway_ip to null for a subnet with the --no-gateway option;
we can also remove the external gateway for a router with the
router-gateway-clear command.
I would cast my vote for allowing the CLI to add a --no-<param_name>
option for all the parameters that can be cleared.
Another options that can be considered stems from CLI tools like
ovs-vsctl or xe.

with ovs-vsctl I can nullify a OVS DB entry with ovs-vsctl clear
with xe I can nullify a parameter with xe <resource>-param-clear <param_name>

For instance we could do:
quantum subnet-update <subnet_id> --clear gateway_ip
or
quantum router-update <router_id> --clear external_network_info

NOTE: I'm not advocating changes to CLI for existing commands; this is
just an example.

Salvatore