[openstack-dev] [baremetal] Plan of new features from dodai-compute team.

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:17:18 UTC 2013

Hi Etsuji,

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Etsuji Nakai <enakai at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken, Devananda and all,

I'm Etsuji. I've recently joined the dodai-compute team, and
> would like to contribute to the baremetal project, too.
> I'm now working closely with Osamu, by the way:
>

> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-December/003790.html

> Let me explain some background of my interest in the baremetal
> project and plan of the contribution.
>
> dodai-compute has been developed for a specific usecase in NII's
> private cloud (National Institute of Informatics Japan.) Because
> of that, it's not suitable for general usecases and is unlikely
> to be merged in the upstream. So dodai-compute team is now
> considering to adopt the upstream baremetal feature in NII as an
> alternative of dodai-compute. For that purpose, we'd like to add
> some new features which are required for NII's usecase and also
> beneficial to other baremetal users.

Great! I've only heard a bit about dodai and what you guys are doing at
NII, but I'm excited to have more teams contributing to the upstream
baremetal driver :)

> We're now mainly considering the following items:
>
> 1) Scheduler extension for grouping of baremetal servers.
> - Allowing users to specify baremetal servers to be used.

This is very important to me as well. I have a pretty clear idea of how to
do it -- probably not that hard -- but I haven't written my plans down yet.
I'll draft something today.

> 2) Multiple OS provisioning method.
> - Allowing multiple types of OS images such as:
>    dd-image (NTTdocomo-openstack style)
>    tar ball (dodai-compute style)
>    Kickstart installation (new feature)

We are working on improving the current method (dd image) so that it
performs and scales better. I think the same approach, and much of the same
code, could be used with tarballs, and I would welcome that.

> 3) Baremetal Quantum plugin for VLAN inter-connection.
> - Allowing inter-connection to existing VLAN networks.
> - Allowing NIC-bonding configuration.

Yes! There are several other quantum integration bits that Robert Collins
is working on, such as having quantum manage the TFTP configuration so that
baremetal doesn't need to run a separate dhcp server.

> We internally call our plan "dodai-compute2.0". It doesn't mean
> to make a new branch, but to add the above features to the
> upstream baremetal. Here's a draft of the presentation of the plan.
>

> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-aLYh1CAM_qR1VxSFViM1hPTGM/edit?usp=sharing
>

> I'm really glad if you're interested in it, too, and happy to
> explain/discuss more details if necessary.

Are you on irc.freenode.net? Most of the developers of nova (and the
baremetal driver) hang out in #openstack-dev, and a lot of us are in
#tripleo now too.

Best regards,
Devananda