[openstack-dev] Use of local()

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 8 17:22:17 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 10:15 AM, Mark McClain wrote:
> I also do not accept that dictionaries created in code have any
> readability impact when properly styled.  A method call with many
> keyword args is just as ugly.
>
> There are also performance considerations about constructing
> dictionaries and I'd like to point everyone to Doug Hellman's written
> article  about dictionary construction performance.
>
> http://www.doughellmann.com/articles/misc/dict-performance/index.html

I fail to accept that the time to create *a* dictionary is even
measurable when the operation is fundamentally about writing a string to
disk or syslog. The order of magnitude of the total operation, given
that it generates IO, is way outside the ball park of an extra function
call.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague