[openstack-dev] Test multi backend support for cinder

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Feb 7 22:41:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Jérôme Gallard <jeronimo974 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just to add details to my first email, if it can help, here is a trace
> + stdout : http://paste.openstack.org/show/30722/
>
> Thanks,
> Jérôme
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Jérôme Gallard <jeronimo974 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am testing the cinder multi backend support:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20347/ (patch 9)
> >
> > When I start the cinder-volume service, it loops indefinitly with :
> > WARNING cinder.service [-] pid 0 not in child list
> > INFO cinder.service [-] Child 0 exited with status 0
> >
> > Does someone have an idea about the issue?
> > At the end of the email I detail my lab configuration.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Jérôme
> >
> > ---
> > What I did to get this issue:
> >
> > I setup an new OpenStack environment with devstack: everything was
> > working well (I was able to create / delete LVM volumes).
> >
> > I stopped the running cinder-volume, -api, -scheduler processes.
> >
> > I updated the cinder directory with:
> > git fetch https://review.openstack.org/openstack/cinder
> > refs/changes/47/20347/9 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
> >
> > I updated the cinder database:
> > cinder-manage db sync
> >
> > I updated the /etc/cinder/cinder.conf file:
> > enabled_backends=backend1,backend2
> > [backend1]
> > volume_group = stack-volumes
> > volume_driver = cinder.volume.drivers.lvm.LVMISCSIDriver
> > backend_volume_type = lvm
> > [backend2]
> > volume_driver = cinder.volume.driver.FakeISCSIDriver
> > backend_volume_type = fake
> >
> > I created 2 new volume types :
> > cinder type-create lvm
> > cinder type-create fake
> >
> > I started the cinder services :
> > cinder-api and cinder-scheduler : OK
> > however, cinder-volume loops indefinitly with :
> > WARNING cinder.service [-] pid 0 not in child list
> > INFO cinder.service [-] Child 0 exited with status 0

Hi Jerome,

This is still under development obviously, but your config file isn't quite
right, try something like this:

multi_backend_support=True
enabled_backends=lvm-1,lvm-fake

[lvm-1]
backend_volume_type=lvm
volume_driver=cinder.volume.drivers.lvm.LVMISCSIDriver

volume_group=stack-volumes

[lvm-fake]
backend_volume_type = fake
volume_driver = cinder.volume.driver.FakeISCSIDriver