[openstack-dev] Use of local()

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Thu Feb 7 19:33:09 UTC 2013

On 02/07/13 at 10:23am, Nachi Ueno wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>I wanna ask the opinion of use of local()
>This function is mainly used for logging because of no need to specify
>actual parameters.
>
>However, the variable ,which code checker says it is not used, is used
>by local() sometimes.
>so I prefer not to use local() .
>I also believe to specify used parameter improves readability of the code.

I agree.  I prefer the explicitness of passing variables to string
interpolation, and my style checker also picks up the variables which it
thinks are not used.

I would support a check in hacking.py for this in Nova but personally
don't think reviewers should spend time worrying about it.  Which means
that I think it's an uphill battle for projects without something like
hacking.py.