[openstack-dev] Test multi backend support for cinder

Jérôme Gallard jeronimo974 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:49:59 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am testing the cinder multi backend support:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20347/ (patch 9)

When I start the cinder-volume service, it loops indefinitly with :
WARNING cinder.service [-] pid 0 not in child list
INFO cinder.service [-] Child 0 exited with status 0

Does someone have an idea about the issue?
At the end of the email I detail my lab configuration.

Thanks a lot,
Jérôme

---
What I did to get this issue:

I setup an new OpenStack environment with devstack: everything was
working well (I was able to create / delete LVM volumes).

I stopped the running cinder-volume, -api, -scheduler processes.

I updated the cinder directory with:
git fetch https://review.openstack.org/openstack/cinder
refs/changes/47/20347/9 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

I updated the cinder database:
cinder-manage db sync

I updated the /etc/cinder/cinder.conf file:
enabled_backends=backend1,backend2
[backend1]
volume_group = stack-volumes
volume_driver = cinder.volume.drivers.lvm.LVMISCSIDriver
backend_volume_type = lvm
[backend2]
volume_driver = cinder.volume.driver.FakeISCSIDriver
backend_volume_type = fake

I created 2 new volume types :
cinder type-create lvm
cinder type-create fake

I started the cinder services :
cinder-api and cinder-scheduler : OK
however, cinder-volume loops indefinitly with :